The mission of the Department of Education is to create learning experiences for its candidates that foster collaboration, professionalism, and competence in content and pedagogical knowledge. Through the integration of leadership, scholarship, reflection, and community partnerships, our department prepares its candidates to be outstanding teachers within diverse and changing communities.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
The outcomes listed below align to national accreditation standards (CAEP), Utah state standards for effective teaching (UETS)*, and Dixie State University core themes of learning, engagement, and opportunity.
- Identify and accommodate individual learner differences and cultural, linguistic, and physical diversity. (UETS 1 & 2)
- Create environments that support individual and collaborative learning, positive social interactions, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation. (UETS 3)
- Apply central concepts, tools of inquiry, and structures of the discipline. (UETS 4)
- Formulate multiple methods of assessment to engage learners in their own growth, monitor learner progress, guide planning and instruction, and determine whether the outcomes described in content standards have been met. (UETS 5)
- Plan and implement instruction to support students in meeting rigorous learning goals by drawing upon knowledge of content, Utah Core Standards, instructional best practices, and the community context. (UETS 6 & 7)
- Analyze evidence to continually reflect on and adapt practices to meet the needs of each learner. (UETS 8)
- Exhibit leadership to engage collaboratively with learners, families, colleagues, and community members, and demonstrates professional and ethical behavior. (UETS 9 & 10)