DSU Program Standards/Utah Effective Standards
(The standards listed below incorporate national (CAEP), state standards (UETS) and Dixie State University core themes of learning, engagement and opportunity)
The Learner and Learning –
- Standard 1: Learner Development – The teacher understands cognitive, linguistic, social, emotional, and physical areas of student development
- Standard 2: Learning Differences – The teacher understands individual learner differences and cultural linguistic diversity
- Standard 3: Learning Environment – The teacher works with learners to create environments that support individual and collaborative learning, positive social interactions, active engagement in learning, and self-motivation
Instructional Practice –
- Standard 4: Content Knowledge – The teacher understands the central concepts, tools of inquiry, and structures of the discipline
- Standard 5: Assessment – The teacher uses multiple methods of assessment to engage learners in their own growth, monitor learner progress, guide planning and instruction, and determine whether the outcomes described in content standards have been met.
- Standard 6: Instructional Planning – The teacher plans instruction to support students in meeting rigorous learning goals by drawing upon knowledge of content areas, Utah Core Standards, instructional best practices, and the community context.
- Standard 7: Instructional Strategies – The teacher uses various instructional strategies to ensure that all learners develop a deep understanding of content areas and their connections and build skills to apply and extend knowledge in a meaningful way.
Professional Responsibility –
- Standard 8: Reflection and Continuous Growth – The teacher is a reflective practitioner who uses evidence to continually evaluate and adapt practice to meet the needs of each learner
- Standard 9: Leadership and Collaboration – The teacher is a leader who engages collaboratively with learners, families, colleagues, and community members to build a shared vision supportive professional culture focused on student growth and success.
- Standard 10: Professional and Ethical Behavior – The teacher demonstrates the highest standard of legal, moral, and ethical conduct as specified in Utah State Board Rule R277-515